Saturday, April 13, 2013

Wood Burning

So I went to Michaels a little while back to get gold paint for this post when I was quickly coerced into buying a wood burning kit. I was not a hard sell. Truth is I was already thinking about using wood burning to make myself a wooden owlswakeup plaque for my home/future craft shows etc. Anyways, I was browsing the paint when a sales associate asked me what I was making. When I told him about the leather bookmarks, he asked me if I had considered heat embossing the leather. Naturally, I was intrigued. He took me over to show me what I thought were the wood burning kits, but it turns out you can burn many things. I was sold.

I tried it out while I was visiting my parents (it sure helps that they had spare pieces of wood leftover from their deck) and quickly discovered that wood burning is extremely difficult. The grain does not want you to burn a straight line and will fight you till the end.

But it sure smells amazing! I'll post more pictures of things I've burnt once I get good at it. If I ever get good at it.

My parents had the perfect piece of wood to practice on!

Waiting for it to get (surface-of-the-sun) hot.

Different levels of burny-ness while waiting for the wand to heat up.

Keeping control was incredibly challenging!

Hissssssss…

Definitely something worth practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment