Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Lookback


I cannot believe that this year is almost over. 2013 was my first full year as an active Etsy seller, something I had wanted to jump into for quite some time. And I accomplished quite a bit! My goals were firm but doable: grow owlswakeup, do a craft show or two, keep blogging. I have more than achieved that. I had strangers order my clutches and patterns (and if you're an Etsy seller, you know the first Stranger Sale is something to be celebrated!), I learned new sewing techniques, I connected with others with my DIY posts, and I did 8 days of craft shows. I wasn't as consistent as I would like with the blog but that will hopefully find its rhythm in the new year.

The main thing I have learned?

Always be better.

These few words have stuck with me throughout the year. It's okay to make mistakes, to take breaks and reevaluate, to try something new, something risky. Because no matter the experience, you learn from it and you'll always be better next time. These few words don't get me down, they excite me. Life without challenge is boring. Projects without enthusiasm are doomed. We can't constantly compare ourselves to others and feel down. I am proud of my ability to see the success of others not as a failure in myself, but as an opportunity to grow.

To quote my beloved Fever Ray, "Now's the only time I know."

Here's to 2014!

2 comments: